Thursday 15 March 2018

The last will and testament of William Lovell, 7th Baron Lovell, Francis`s grandfather

On 18th March 1455, William Lovell, 7th Baron Lovell, made his will. He was around 58 years old at the time. On 5th June 1455, presumably already ailing, he added two codicils to the will, only eight days before he died on 13th June of that year, of causes unknown.

In the will, William provided generously for his three younger sons, though he was curiously silent about his oldest, John, who would go on to become Francis`s father. Though the bulk of his estates, unless otherwise specified, and of course his baronies, fell to him, William did not name him in the will. He did, however, leave generous amounts to his servants, and as was typical for the time, seemed concerned with both the well-being of his soul and the survival of his family. The complete text of the will, put into modern English, was as follows:

****

"In the name of the blessed trinity, Father and Son and Holy Ghost, I, William Lord Lovell, Burnell and of Holland, whole of mind and of body, make my testament in the manner and form that follows:

First, I bequeath my soul to Almighty God my creature that bought me with his precious blood, and to his blessed Mother, Saint Mary, and to all the holy saints of heaven, and my body to be buried at the Greyfriars in Oxford in such place as I have appointed. [1]

And I will that within eight days after my death, a 1500 masses be done for my soul.

Also I will that my feofees in and of all my manors, lands and tenements, with the appurtenance, In Acton Burnell, Wotton, Croston, Sutton, Holgote, Abbeton, Millynchop, Ewdon Burnell, Acton Raynard, Longedon, Uppynton, Rowton, Ambaston, Chatwall, Wolstauton, Smethcote, Russhebury, Hopebowdelere, and Condour, with the members of the shire of Salop and in all my lands and tenements in Nantwich in the shire of Chester not appointed to my son Harry, the which I have enfeoffed upon great trust, I will that my said feoffes occupy and have all my said manors, lands and tenements  with the appurtenance after my decease by the term of nine years and that there be a sufficient person ordained by the advise of my said feofees and executors to receive all the issues and profites of the said manors, lands and tenements and therewith to pay 222 pounds, thirteen shillings, four pennies that I owe to diverse persons, as it is contained in a paper, unless than I pay it in my life.

Also I will that a chapel and a tomb be made for me and my wife, convenient to our estate that God has called us to, of the same issues and profits, in the place where we shall be buried.[2]

And where I have appointed twenty pounds of livelihood to be purchased with the same issues and profits (unless I purchase it myself in my life) to be amortised for two priests to sing perpetually for the souls of me, my wife and our ancestors. I will that, of the same issues and profits, all the costs about the said amortisment be had and borne.

Also, I will that the same Greyfriars shall have 200 marks of the value. Whereof part shall be in ready money and the remnants in ornaments of their church (by the discretion of my wife, my feoffees and executors or the more part of them) to pray specially for the souls of me and of my wife.

Also, I bequeath to the other three orders of friars in Oxford to each of them 100 shillings to pray specially for the souls of me and my wife and our said ancestors.

Also, to the abbot and convent of Brewer 11 pounds.

Also, to Anne Ogard, my daughter`s daughter [3], to her marriage if she be married worshipfully and to such as is or shall be a lord of name 200 pounds, of the same issues and profits.

And I will that he that so shall receive the issues and profits of the said manors, lands and tenements, yearly account of them before such auditors as shall be assigned by my wife, executors and feoffees or the more part of them.

Also I will that anon after the said nine years after my decease determined that my said feoffees make estate of all the said manors, lands and tenements with the appurtenance to my next heir [4] and to the heirs of his body lawfully begotten [5]. And for lack of such issue the remainder thereof to my right heirs.

And in the case that the said chantry be founded in my life, then I will that after the term of six years next after my decease determined that my said feoffees of the said manors, lands and tenements make estate unto my next heir and hold to him and to the heirs of his body begotten. And for lack of such issue [6] the remainder thereof to my right heirs.

Also, I will that my feoffees in and of all my manors, lands and tenements that they be enfeoffeed to my use and profit (except the manors, lands and tenements appointed to William, Robert and Henry, my sons, and my manors, lands and tenements in Oxfordshire) anon after my decease make estate unto my next heir [7] and the heirs of his body begotten. And for lack of such issue the remainder thereof to my right heirs.

Also, I will that my feoffees of all my other manors, lands and tenements in the shire of Oxford, except before except, after my decease, of the issues and profits of the same, pay 20 pounds yearly to the sustaining of my said chantry and anniversary unto the time my said chantry be full established and founded, and suffer my next heir to have the issues and profits of all the same manors, lands and tenements over that 20 pounds.

And after the said chantry established and founded of 20 pound of livlihood, I will my feoffees of the same manors, lands and tenements in the said shire of Oxford, except before except, make estate to my next heir and to the heirs of his body begotten, and for lack of such issue the remainder thereof to my right heirs.

Also, I will that my good moveable and unmovable be disposed, after the good discretion of my good executors, by the oversight and survey of my wife.

Also, I charge all my sons, upon my blessing, and as they will answer to God, that they be helping and assisting to my executors to the executing and performing of this my testament and last will.

And executors of this my testament I make Thomas Bylling, sergant of the law, Lucas Laucok, clerk, William Marmeon, William Brawnston.

Also, I will that my wife, in whom I put my most special faith and trust, be surveyor of this my testament, praying and requiring her that she will do her true diligence and part that my said testament may be truly performed, according to my intent. And require and charge my executors that none of them do any great thing touching the execution of my said testament, without they ask advice of her before.

In witness whereof, to this present writing I have put my seal, evening the 18th day of March, the year of our Lord 1455. And the year of the reign of King Henry the Sixth after the conquest 34th.


(First Codicil)

In the name of God, Amen, I, William Lord Lovell, Burnell and of Holland, whole of mind [8], the 5th day of June, the year of our Lord God 1455, and the year of the reign of King Harry the Sixth after the conquest 34th, declare my last will and advice contained in my testament bearing the date of 18th March of the year of our Lord God 1455 and the reign of our sovereign lord the king 34th, and also add to the same testament in manner and form as in this codicil follows:

First, that where I, in the said testament and last will, ordained, disposed and willed that my feoffees in and of all my manors, lands and tenements with their appurtances in Acton Burnell, Wotton, Croston, Sutton, Holgote, Abbeton, Millynchop, Ewdon Burnell, Acton Raynard, Longedon, Uppynton, Rowton, Ambaston, Chatwall, Wolstauton, Smethcote, Russhebury, Hopebowdelere, and Condour with the members of the shire of Salop and in all my lands and tenements in Nantwich in the shire of Chester not appointed to my son Harry, should occupy and have all my said manors, lands and tenements with the appurtenance after my decease by the term of nine years to perform my said will and testament, as is in the same testament expressed, I will that my said feoffees occupy and have all my said manors, lands and tenements with the appurtenance after my decease by the term of eleven years [9] then next and continual following, to execute and perform with the issues and profits thereof my said testament. And that my last will, under form as in the said testament is and in this my codicil shall be declared.

Also where I, in my said testament, have appointed 20 pounds of livelihood to be purchased with the said issues and profits,  to be amortised for two secular priests to sing perpetually for the souls of me, my wife and my ancestors, I, in this my codicil, will and declare that the said purchase and mortisment be so and in such form that it be 20 pounds clear above all manners of charges, and such livelihood as shall be of no less clear yearly value be liklihood hereafterward: of the which 20 pounds I will that my said two priests have yearly twenty marks. And I will that the warden and the convent of Greyfriars of Oxford have yearly the residue of the said 20 pounds therewith to keep my yearly obit and to re-apparell my said chapel after time it is sufficiently belit and performed.

And pay yearly to the chancellor of Oxford for the time being and offering at my obit five shillings, seven pennies. To his commissary so offering in his absence two shillings, three pennies, and to either of the proctors of the university coming with the said chancellor or his commissary and offering at my said obit twenty pennies.

And to the mayor of Oxford for the time being two shillings, three pennies, and to either of the baileys twenty pennies, in case be that they come and offer at my said yearly obit.

Also, I will that my said executors and feoffees, over the said 20 pounds, purvey books, chalices, and vestements, with other ornaments necessary to the said chapel, and also for bread, wine and wax for all manner of priests that will say mass in the said chapel for evermore.

Also, I will that the said two priests be seculars, bachelors of divinity or at the least masters of arts, virtuous and well disposed to learn and for to proceed in degree. And moreover to preach the word of God in relief of simple curates and edification of Christian souls.

And they, in their open sermons, shall pray specially by name for the souls of me, my wife and my ancestors.

And I will that the said two priests every Sunday and double feast, after time the said chapel is belit and fully performed, at five of the bell in the morning begin the matins of the day in my said chapel, and, after matins said, one of them incontinently say the mass of the day, unless they be absent preaching the word of God. And if both be not so absent, then he, that is not so occupied, say the said matins and mass.

And once in the weekday say placebo and dirge with a mass of requiem of me, my wife and my ancestors and of all Christian souls.

Also, I will that the Lord Lovell for the time being [10] name and present the said two priests (so that they be seculars, bachelors of divinity or at the least masters of arts) to the Chancellor of Oxford for the time being [11]. And the said Chancellor, in case he find them by due examination virtuose and of good conversation and diposed to proceed after my will before declared, admit them to sing in my said chapelafter form by me rehearsed. And if by such examination or otherwise, the said two bachelors of divinity or at least masters of art, so named and presented by the Lord Lovell for the time being, be not found of such conditions and virtue as it is in my will before declared, that then they be in no wise admitted to to sing in the said chapel, but then, after notice had thereof, the said Lord Lovell name and present two other in semblance wise to be examined admitted or refused. Wherein I pray and straightly require and (as much as in me is) I charge the said Lord Lovell and chancellor that they, in naming, presenting, examining and admitting the said two priests, put aside all manner of affectuous partiality, favour, service and reward.

Also, I will and declare that in the case the said two priests, or either of them, be promoted to any benefice, college, chantry, or other office of perpetuity, otherwise be of vicious governance or unclean living before the chancellor lawfully convicted, then that their places in my said chapel, and either of them, so promoted or convicted, be void, and the said Lord Lovell name and present other, in manner and form above rehearsed.

Item, I will and bequeath, in this my codicil, to William my son a bed of bawdkin with cushions and the apparell thereto, paying ten pounds. [12]

Also that, where I willed and ordained in my said testament that, anon after nine years after my decease determined, that my feoffees should make estate of all the said manors, lands and tenements with their appurtenance, under form in my said testament contained, I will that my said feoffees be not charged nor in no wise constrained to make any estate unto the term of eleven years after my decease fully determined.

Also, I will and add to my said testament in this my codicil that my servants be rewarded under form and sums that follow:

- First, to Thomas Lesseller and his wife, 5 shillings
- To Henry Normanvyle, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- To Thomas Stotesbury, 10 shillings
- To John Gyfford, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Drew Streighley, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Bernard Delamere, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Thomas Conyers, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Thomas Ingelfeld, 4 pounds, 7 shillings, 3 pennies
- Also, to Mawt Denham, of fee, so long as she is sole, yearly ten mark. And, if she be worshipfully and well married, to her mariage, 12 pounds, 5 shillings, 7 pennies.
- Also Sybill Fowler, when time she shall be married and worshipfully, 20 pounds to her marriage
- Also, to the servants of John Densell, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- Also, to Thomas Aunger, 10 shillings
- to John of Chambre,10 shillings
- to John Appynton, 10 shillings
- to Thomas Clerk, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- to William Aleyn, 10 shillings
- to John Aden, 3 shillings, 3 pennies of fee
- to John Benet, 10 shillings of fee;
- to Richard Whitfeld, 10 shillings
- to John Churche, 32 shillings, 3 pennies
- to William Wynfray, 10 shillings
- to William Skynner, 10 shillings
- to William Grendon, 10 shillings
- to Thomas Ormeston, 20 shillings
- To Thomas Smyth, 10 shillings
- to Thomas Selby, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- to William Blakbourne, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- To Thomas Selman,10 shillings
- to Edmund Blakhall, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- To Iohn Russell, 3 shillings, 3 pennies, of fee;
- to Iohn Barby, 30 shillings, 7 pennies
- To Thomas hunt, 20 sjillings of fee;
- to Richard Milton, 10 shillings
- to William Trumpet, 10 shillings of fee;
- to Geoffrey Taylour, 10 shillings
- to John Woderoff, 30 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Iohn Cransley, 10 shillings
- to John Whighill, 10 shillings of fee.;
- to Henry Yoxhall, 3 shillings, 3 pennies
- to John Donver, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Iohn Gylford, 3 shillings, 3 pennies, in whole fee;
- to Ralph Herrys, for keeping of a wood at Minster Lovell, 25 shillings, 7 pennies of fee;
- to the baily of Minster Lovell, 10 shillings
- To Ralph, gardener of Minster Lovell, 10 shillings of fee yearly, for keeping of the garden there, yearly receiving and keeping the fruites therof to the behoof of the household there;
- To William Kollyng, 20 shillings, of fee;
- to Frank Martyn,32 shillings, 3 pennies
- to John Morayn, 35 shillings, 8 pennies .
- to John Culneham, 35 shillings, 8 pennies
- to John Grene, 35 shillings, 8 pennies
- to Derik of the kitchen, 20 shillings
- to Richard of the bakehouse, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- To Edmund of the bakehouse, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- To John Skirs of the same, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to John Carter, 20 shillings
- to John Lane, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- to Thomas Blakhalle, 32 shillings, 3 pennies
- to Henry Gaddesby, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- To William Broyne, 25 shillings, 7 pennies
- To Thomas of the Stable, 25 shillings, 7 pennies

And I again require my wife, sons and heirs, in the way of charity and for the love of Almighty God and eschewing the damnation of their souls, that they help and assist, with all such power as God has given them, my feoffees and my executors to execute my said testament and this my will. And that they in no wise let it nor do for to be letted by no manner of mean nor colour.

Item, I will that all my elder feoffees, if there any be in my said manors, lands and tenements, make a release unto Thomas, Archbishop of Canterbury, and unto his co-feoffees to perform my said testament and will.

Bearing witness hereof: Master Thomas Gascoyne, Doctor of Divinity, Bartholomew Ardern, Thomas Sakvyle, John Grayby, esquires, William Barneville, John Adeen, and John Russell, with other more.


(Second Codicil)

To all true Christian people that this present writing tri-parted intended shall hear or see, William Lord Lovell, Burnell and of Holland, send greeting in our Lord everlasting.

Where that I, the same William Lord Lovell, among other, have enfeoffeed, upon great faith and trust, the right reverend fathers in God, Thomas Bourchier, Archbishop of Canterbury, primate of all England; William, Bishop of Winchester; William Lucy; William Catesby, knights; Robert Danuers (one of the justice of the common place), and other, in and of my manors of Bridelhurst, Obdon, Knoke, Erdescote, Estwamburgh, with the appurtenance, in the shire of Wiltshire and in all my other lands and tenements in the same towns; the manor of Berley with the appurtenance in the shire of Hertford, the manor of Estwycham with the appurtenance in the shire of Kent, and Rotherhith with the appurtenances in the shire of Surrey, the manor of Wodford, with the appurtenance, in the shire of Gloucester, and in all my lands and tenements in Bampton, Little Minster, and elsewhere in the shire of Oxford, with appurtenance, the which were sometimes Eleanor Hill´s, and of a fee form of six pounds, five shillings, seven pennies in the shire of Worcester that the prior of Worcester paid to me for Trympley, the manors of Stene, Hynton, Polebroke, with the appurtenance, in the shire of Northampton, the manor of Crawley with the appurtenance in the shire of Buckes, with all my other lands and tenements in the same towns, and in the twon of Banbury in the shire of Oxford, the manors of Wellington and Pycheford, with the appurtenance, in the shire of Salop, the manors of Bidford and Brome with the appurtenance in the shire of Warwick, the moietie of my lordship of Wolverhampton, with the appurtenance, in the shire of Stafford, with all my other lands and tenements in the same towns,and in all my lands and tenements rents and service with the appurtenance in Nantwich and elsewhere in the shire of Chester, late William Brownyng`s, to have and to hold them and to their heirs forevermore.

I, the said William Lord Lovell, declare my will and intent of the said enfeoffment in manner and form following:

That is to say, that my said feoffees anon after my decease make estate in and of the said manors of Bridelhurst, Obdon, Knoke, Erdescote, Estwamburgh, Berley, Estwycham, Rotherhith, Wodford, fee-form and in all the said other lands and tenements in the same towns, in all the said lands and tenements in Bampton, Little Minster, and elsewhere in the shire of Oxford that were sometime Eleanor Hill`s, with all the appurtenance, to William my second son and to the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten, under the form and conditions following, that of the same William my son or any of the heirs male of his body begotten do or suffer anything to be done by the which the said tail should be discontinued and discontinued, in part or in all, longer or otherwise than for term of the life of the said William my son or of the life of any of his heirs male of his body begotten or during the life of any of the wives of my said son or any of the wives of the heirs male of his body begotten, that then all the said manors of Bridelhurst, Obdon, Knoke, Erdescote, Estwamburgh, Berley, Estwycham, Rotherhith, Wodford, fee-form with all the said other lands and tenements in the same towns, and in the towns of Bampton and Little Minster and elsewhere, specified in the said tail, remain unto the right heirs, and the said estate tailed utterly to be void.

And I pray and require my said feoffees to be helping and assisting my right heirs in the behalf.

And in case the said William my son die without issue male of his body begotten, or else that he or any of his said heirs male (for lack of other issue of me) inherit me and be Lord Lovell, and no such discontinuance made by him nor none of his said heirs male otherwise than is before rehearsed, that then the one half of the said manors, lands, tenements and fee form, with the appurtenance, remain unto Robert Lovell, my third son, and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions to be observed and kept by the same Robert and his heirs male as is before rehearsed to be observed and kept by the said William and his heirs male of his body begotten. And in case the said Robert die without issue males of his body begotten, or else that he or any of his said issue males inherit me and be Lord Lovell, and no discontinuance be made by the same Robert nor none of heirs males of his body begotten, of the said halfendell nor of no parcel thereof otherwise than is before rehearsed, that then the said halfendale remain to Henry Lovell my fourth son and to the heir males of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions to be observed and kept by the same Henry and his heirs male (as is before rehearsed) to be observes and kept by the said William and his heirs male of his body begotten. And for the lack of such issue male of the said Henry, the remainder thereof unto my right heirs. And that the other half of the said manors, lands and tenements with the appurtenance remain unto the same Henry and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions to be observed and kept by him and his said heirs male (as is before rehearsed) to be observed and kept by the same William and his heirs male of his body begotten.

And in case the said Henry die without issue males of his body begotten,the remainder thereof unto the same Robert and the heirs male of his body begotten under semblance forme and conditions as if before rehearsed. And for lack of such issue male of the said Robert, the remainder thereof unto my right heirs.

Also I pray and require my said feoffees that they, anon after my decease, make estate unto the said Robert my son in and of the said manors of Stene, Hynton, Polebroke, Crawley, with all their other lands and tenements in the same towns and in the town of Banbury, with the appurtenance, to have and hold to him and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under the form and conditions following:

That of the same Robert or any of the heirs male of his body begotten do or suffer anything to be done by the which the said tail should be discontinued and discontinued, in part or in all, longer or otherwise than for term of the life of the said Robert my son or term of the life of any of his heirs male of his body begotten or term of the life of any of the wives of the said Robert or term of life of  any of the wives of the heirs male of the said Robert body begotten, that then all the same manors, lands and tenements remain to my right heirs and the said estate utterly to be void.

And I pray and require my said feoffees to be helping and assisting my right heirs in the behalf.

And in case the said Robert die without issue male of his body begotten then the one half of the same manors, lands and tenements, with the appurtenance, so given to the said Robert, shall remain to the same William my son and to the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten, under semblance form and conditions as if before rehearsed to be observed by the same William and his heirs male. And if the said William die without issue male of his body begotten or else that he or any of his said issue male inherit me and be Lord Lovell and no discontinuance be made by him nor none of his heirs male of the said halfendell nor of no part thereof otherwise than is before rehearsed, that then the said halfendell with the appurtenance shall remain to the same Henry and to the heirs male of his body begotten under semblance form and conditions as is before rehearsed, and, for lack of such issue, the remainder thereof, to my right heirs, and that the other half of the said manors, lands and tenements with the appurtenance shall remain to the same Henry and to the heirs male of his body begotten under semblance form and conditions as if before rehearsed. And in case the said Henry die without such issue of his body begotten the remainder thereof to the same William and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions as before rehearsed. And for lack of such issue of the said William, the remainder thereof to my right heirs.

Also I pray and require my said feoffees that they anon after my decease make estate unto the same Henry my son in and of the said manors of Wellington, Pycheford, Bidford, Brome and moietie of the lordship of Wolverhampton and all other lands and tenements in the same towns and in all lands and tenements rents and farms in Nantwich and elsewhere in the shire of Chester, late William Brownyng`s, with the appurtenance, to have and to hold to the same Harry and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under form and conditions following: that if the same Henry or any of the heirs make of his body begotten do or suffer any thing to be done by the which the same tail should be discontinued and discontinued, in part or in all, longer or otherwise than for term of life for the same Henry or term of the life of any of his heirs male of his body begotten or for term of the life of the wives of the same Henry or term of the life of any of the wives of the heirs make of his body begotten, that then the said manors, lands and tenements remain to my right heirs, and that the said estate utterly to be void.

And I pray and require my said feoffees to be helping and assisting my right heirs in the behalf.

And in case the said Henry die without issue male of his body begotten, that then the one half thereof remain to the same William my son and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions as is before rehearsed. And in case the said William die without issue male of his begotten, or else that he or any of his said issue male inherit me and be Lord Lovell and no discontinuance be made by him nor none of his said heirs male of the said halfendell, nor of no part thereof, other than is before rehearsed, that then the said halfendell with the appurtenance shall remain to the same Robert my son and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions as is before rehearsed, and for lack of such issue of the said Robert the remainder thereof to my right heirs. And that the other half of the said manors, moietie, lands, tenements, rents and services with the appurtenance so given to the said Henry shall remain to the said Robert and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions as before rehearsed. And for lack of such issue of the said Robert, the remainder thereof to the said William my son and to the heirs male of his body begotten, under semblance form and conditions as before rehearsed, and for lack of such issue of the said William, the remainder thereof to my right heirs. 

In witness I have set to my seal of my my arms."

(Text in the original spelling and language found here.)

****

[1] Whatever place William had chosen in Oxford for his burial, it seems he was not buried there. Instead, for reasons unknown, he was put to rest in St.Kenelm`s Church next to his ancestral home of Minster Lovell Hall.

[2] It is not known where William`s wife, Alice Deincourt, was buried, but it was neither in Oxford nor with her husband in Minster Lovell Hall. 

[3] According to Monika Simon, Anne Ogard was the daughter of a Danish knight called Andrew Ogard. He was married to Alice Lovell, perhaps William and Alice`s oldest child, but her birth and death years are unknown. She appears to have been dead by the time her father wrote this will.

[4] His next heir is his oldest son John Lovell, who would go on to become Francis`s father.

[5] These heirs would eventually be Francis and his sisters Joan and Frideswide.

[6] Since William speaks in the conditional here, it is clear that Francis was not yet born when he made the will, nor his birth soon expected. This squares with the evidence of his parents` IPMs and the CPR that he was born in 1456.

[7] It is somewhat bizarre that, having just named his younger sons, William does not identify his "next heir" either by name or relation.

[8] Notably, William leaves out "whole of body" in this codicil, despite having used it for the text of his testament written on 18th March. This and the fact that he died only eight days later suggests he knew his death was imminent when adding these codicils to his will.

[9] What made him decide to add these two years is unknown.

[10]  This means that whoever was Lord Lovell at the time that such an appointment was needed would be required to perform this task.

[11] At the time of William`s death, this was George Neville.

[12] Worth 10 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment